Tuesday, October 20, 2020

talk to me Harry Winston

 


Marilyn Monroe; Jane Russell

   in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes"


At the end of last week, these songs were running through my head on a loop...


...But square-cut or pear-shaped

These rocks don't lose their shape

Diamonds are a girl's best friend...


and


...'Cause you've got - personality,

Walk, personality

Talk, personality

Smile, personality...


When I woke up yesterday it was --


Start spreading the news

I am leaving today

I want to be a part of it

New York, New York


These vagabond shoes

They are longing to stray

Right through the very heart of it

New York, New York...


(OK, stop.)


     I miss Chris Matthews so much.  No one on You Tube to talk to me about politicians' words.

     So last night I had to listen to an actual politician speak his words.  Video titled,


Biden Delivers Remarks in Ohio | NBC News


There were videos on there of him talking in other states, too -- I picked Ohio because I was born there and lived there until I was 14.


Candidate Biden didn't yell or turn cartwheels or mock people or put on a reality show.  He just talked.  Mentioned building high-speed rail....

     That works all right for me.  I don't need to hear any "hellfire and brimstone."


___________________________

     Today where I live the sky is gray from horizon to horizon, the air is cool, and the ground is wet from early-a.m. snow.  (Too early!  No no!  We don't want it!)

     It's a good day to be cozy by a window with a blanket and a mystery.

-------------- [excerpt] -------------

CHAPTER 1

At ten minutes to three in the morning, the city of Wells lay inert, hot and stagnant.  Most of its eleven thousand people tossed restlessly; the few who couldn't sleep at all damned the fact that there was no breeze to lift the stifling effect of the night.  The heat of the Carolinas in August hung thick and heavy in the air.



     The moon was gone.  A few unshaded street lamps in the main business area pushed hard shadows against the closed stores, the surviving movie theater, and the silent gas stations.  


At the corner where the through highway crossed at right angles, the automatic air-conditioner in the Simon Pharmacy was on, its steady throb purring against the silence of the night.  


Across the street the one patrol car that the Wells police department kept out all night was pulled up against the curb. ----------------- [end, excerpt:  In the Heat of the Night.  Written by John Ball.  Published by Harper in 1965.]


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment