Thursday, August 25, 2022

addicted to love; allergic to tweeds

 

Bryan Ferry, Jerry Hall


"The Mystery of Chaco Canyon" (TV movie, 1999, narrated by Robert Redford) is on Amazon Prime, currently.

        They mention a possible ancient custom of crashing and breaking vases, to represent meaning in a ceremony.  It made me think of Jimi Hendrix, and Pete Townshend of The Who, smashing their guitars at the end of an onstage performance.

_______________________________________


-------------------- [excerpts, Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures] --------------------- Bryan had such a lovely, funny, playful side; but after a year together I was seeing less and less of the Bryan that I had fallen in love with.  He dreamed of being an aristocratic man of leisure, swanning around his country estate in tweeds and handmade shoes.  And he became very critical of me.  He wanted me to dress like Kim Novak in Vertigo -- in a grey suit, with pearls around my neck and my hair in a French twist.


...All my friends in New York thought I was crazy when I moved to London to be with Bryan.  Eileen Ford was devastated and begged me not to go.  But besides being in love, I actually thought it was better for me creatively.  

I had been doing such tremendous photographs with English Vogue and I wanted to do more.  

Grace Coddington, the stylist there was a creative genius and they had some hugely talented photographers -- Norman Parkinson, David Bailey and Terence Donovan.  We were doing really beautiful pictures -- lasting iconic images I felt very proud of.  


It was a more creative, less commercial work environment than in the States.  It was the end of the golden era of Hollywood glamour goddesses and also a time of women's liberation and sexual liberation.  People were looking for strong new women role models and fashion was reflecting that need.

        In London no-one wanted to cut my hair, I was set free creatively and it was such a relief and fun too.


        ...Work was exciting.  I was doing a lot with Bailey, who was the photographer in London then.  And I became very good friends with his wife Marie Helvin.  She'd started modelling at about the same time as me, Antonio and I used to see her in English Vogue and we thought she was so beautiful.  

Then we met doing the collections and when I moved to London we became close because we were the only girls working there all the time.  For about a year we were on alternate covers of English Vogue -- one month Marie, the next month me, and so on.  Marie and I used to work together, hang out together and go shopping together.  


We had similar taste in clothes -- we both liked well-cut sexy and glamorous clothes and hated boring English tweeds.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment