Friday, August 26, 2022

baby, you're out of time

 

Warren Beatty


--------------- [excerpt from Jerry Hall book] ---------- Sometimes we'd go out to Tramp or Annabel's and bump into Michael Caine and his wife Shakira.  I loved to dance, but Bryan never really did, he was quite shy.  We'd eat in Langan's Brasserie, and sometimes we'd go to the legendary parties thrown by socialite Nona Summers and her husband Martin, where you'd bump into stars like Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson.


        One of the things I loved about being in England was the sense of humour.  The English are like schoolboys -- always playing tricks on each other or making you feel as if you're in on a secret joke.  The Texans and the English have a common bond of eccentricity.  They thrive on it.  But they also have a straight-laced, uptight side.  I have a bit of both myself, and I really enjoyed it.


        It was in the summer of 1976 that I first met Mick, when Bryan and I went to see the Stones in concert in London.  We all went out to dinner after the show, and after that Mick would turn up at our house.  Mick was so different to Bryan, he didn't care what anyone thought and he laughed all the time.  

        He'd be jumping around and joking and Bryan would get very edgy.  I'd go into the kitchen to make tea and Mick would follow me and then Bryan would follow him.  One time Mick started chasing me around the ping-pong table, trying to kiss me, and Bryan came in and chased him out.



        Mick started leaving messages on the answer phone, saying 'Hi Bryan, let's go out again' and Bryan said, 'I'm never going out with him again, all he did was ogle you all night.'  But I found myself thinking about Mick, and that worried me, because Bryan and I were engaged and I didn't want to think about anyone else.  

And then Bryan set off on his world tour and I went back to New York, feeling sad and uncertain about the future.

___________________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment