Wednesday, August 17, 2022

blank books

 



The Art of Simplicity

by Wilferd Peterson


Simplicity deepens life.

It magnifies the simple virtues

On which man's survival depends:

humility, faith, courage, serenity,

honesty, patience, justice, tolerance, thrift.

Simplicity is the arrow

Of the spirit.

__________________________________


"Some might call having 52 recordings of Brahms' op. 73 a form of clutter, but walls lined with books and CDs are my defense against the barbarism of the world we live in.  They are a reminder of what I believe in."

~ reader comment, New York Times


vtcynce

Burlington, Vt.

I believe for some of us the need to hold on to stuff and acquire is in our DNA.  My father grew up in the Netherlands during WWII and my mother during the Depression.  

I often find myself thinking if we go to war or the economy collapses will I need this?  As others have mentioned de-cluttering has a psychological component.  

Fortunately, I have  made peace with my belongings and realize that  my 'clutter' is a reflection of all I hold dear.  


And if the world does come to an end and you need an extra blank journal please come to Vermont I have boxes full of them.




Warls

New York

Sorry, I just love that picture:  a cozy study with a nice cup of tea waiting to be sipped and shelves of well-worn books, pictures and memorabilia embracing the occupant.  If that's clutter, sign me up.



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment