Wednesday, July 13, 2022

how come you dance so good

 

Mick Jagger


♪ ♫

Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot

Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop

House boy knows that he's - doin' all right

You should have heard him, just around midnight

[ba-da-bommmmm -- bom-bom-bom-bom -- uuhhm!] -- Brown sugar!...


        I was thinking about how I was kind of enthralled with the glamour of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall dating back in the early 80s or late 70s, whenever it was...  And how I automatically, without thought, imagined that it must be just great to go on dates with Mick Jagger, front-man of the Rolling Stones.


        I ask myself now, Why did I think that would be great?  Because I loved the music the Rolling Stones made:  it expressed some things that I felt, and could relate to.  But does that translate into -- you want to date someone in that band...?


        It really doesn't.


        The positive emotions and sense of connection that we feel from an art-work -- whether it's music, a movie, a play, a painting, etc. -- are between the art-work and the audience.  Performers are just presenters of it.  They bring it to us.  They bring us art that speaks to us, and while we may know every lyric to their song, we do not know them.

        I might love a song; it doesn't mean I would enjoy the company of a person who sang the song.


It's similar to that phenomenon of -- a facial moisturizer is named after a beautiful, confident actress that I admire -- and so I should buy that moisturizer and put it on my face every day.

        It really doesn't make sense in a practical way, but a person's emotions can make that connection.


Again, on the theme of thinking we "like" a person because we like the art they created:  there's even an expression, or saying, that has been invented to address this emotion the audience feels:  It says, "Never meet your heroes."


I might say casually, in a moment of enthusiasm, "I love Bob Dylan!"

But the fact is, I love Bob Dylan's music.  I don't know Bob Dylan.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment