Wednesday, July 27, 2022

"I love to take a photograph" ♫ ♪

 


a photograph by Arthur Elgort


Yesterday, seeing how many of those photographers I had heard of before, I was thinking -- Irving Penn... is he a film director, too?  Checking with Google, I learned the director I was recalling was Arthur Penn, who directed Bonnie and Clyde (1967) -- and -- Arthur Penn and the photographer Irving Penn are brothers!

small world


________________________

Another photographer Jerry Hall highlights in her book is Arthur Elgort.

----------------------- [excerpt -- Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures.] ---------------

Arthur Elgort was an American photographer who was a master of the use of natural light.  

He'd find empty buildings with sunlight coming in through doors and windows and use them as his sets.  He loved sunlight streaming in through dirty windows.  

He didn't tell you what to do, he'd just show you the light and let you go and then snap away while you moved about.  


I enjoyed that -- so few people use natural light and I love it -- studio light is so flat in comparison.  You had to move into the best possible light, so I did crazy things like climbing up a door frame in my bare feet to reach a beam.  

We took these pictures in Italy.  

Elgort never worked in England because the natural light there was just too unreliable.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment