Friday, July 22, 2022

fashion is instant language

 


Jerry Hall, Antonio Lopez


----------------- [continued-Excerpt from Jerry Hall book] -------------------

Antonio always brought a lot of originality and humour into his work.  He never stopped drawing and experimenting with different styles and he produced hundreds of drawings.  Some of the drawings he did of me, Grace Jones, and other models went into his book, Antonio's Girls, which came out in 1982.  

        A few years after we met we went to Jamaica with Norman Parkinson to shoot pictures for English Vogue, Parks photographed Antonio drawing me on the beach.  I loved the way he drew me, he was the only person who ever got my mouth just right.


When we were living in New York I took Antonio to my cousin Jo-Nell's wedding.  We drove right across the US to Texas and he took dozens of pictures of me in front of the signs we passed along the way.  I think they're wonderful -- very artistic and very American -- they remind me of paintings by Ed Roche.  Antonio was brilliant; his drawings appeared in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and the New York Times and his work was exhibited all over the world.


We were only lovers for a short while, but we stayed close friends and I was devastated when he died in 1987 at the age of only 44.  [end, excerpt] --------------------------------------------


When she mentions Ed Roche -- I had never heard of that artist:  had to research him on Google....

___________________________

{Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures.  Written by Jerry Hall.  Curated by Jonathan Phang.  2010.  Quadrille Publishing.}


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment