Monday, July 11, 2022

"these have always brought me luck"

 


When I listened to some You Tube videos reviewing skin-care product-lines and make-up product-lines with the name of a famous person on them, I was interested to see what they would say, and my basic theories on these topics remained unchanged, though I was open to changing my mind.  I just wanted to -- see....


I simply don't think "celebrity-lines" are legitimate.  I don't want to "slam" them -- it's just how it seems, to me.

        A.  They're too expensive.  Not because of any ingredients, but because they want their customers to believe that this line of products is "that special," because the celebrity is already special, in the mind of the consumer.

        B.  I think the factory just mixes up the same old basic line of crap that they would make for any other celebrity or new company that wants to sell stuff, and then slaps the Celebrity's Name onto the fussy, over-decorated containers that the products come in.


        Because the Name is the Point.  The product is not the point.  You give the money; you get the Name.


I can see the name of my favorite singer-songwriters or actors and actresses on the music CD, and in a book, or in a magazine and / or on the Internet.  I don't need to see their name on my facial moisturizer (A.M. or P.M.).  

Why should a celebrity suddenly be an instant expert on skin-care?  Just because they look good?  The person has spent their adult years (and sometimes part of their childhood and teen years) -- basically their life -- getting really good at acting or singing or dancing, etc.  

        Good for them.  And good for us -- we get to watch, and listen, and enjoy their sitcom, movie, or dance-show... but Why would this suddenly translate into:  they are good at face cream and foundation (for all skin types!), and good at having it manufactured and manufactured properly, up to standards, and kick some ass when expensive mistakes are made -- things don't always go perfectly.  

(Trying to picture Jennifer Aniston giving a plant manager what-for because the mascara wasn't right....)



But seriously, I'm relatively confident that none of the Jennifers -- Aniston; Lopez; Garner; etc. -- ever have to do any battle in the Manufacturing - Delivery - Supply Chain world.  Or even give it a thought.  That would be worked on by their "team."


I would imagine there's a whole sort of "Industry in Itself" where any celebrity who wants to "make"

skin-care

make-up

accessories

phone cases

perfumes

[etc.]

to sell to their fans, they can just plug in their specs and beauty products etc. will pop out the other end.


And it's probably the same Celebrity-Stuff-Industry that makes them all.


I guess the reason that I won't buy it is because I want a cleanser that really works for my skin; moisturizer that works for my face.  The companies that make skin-care where the product is the point (not someone's Name), put in research and trials to create products that will work for different skin-types -- oily; dry; younger; older.  

I feel like -- they put in the research, they are focused on making a product that works so the customer will get the result they want, and buy it again.  

That's a fair bargain.  

Olay; L'Oreal; Aveeno; AVON -- those are companies that aren't trying to sell me an idea that I should buy their product to look like an actress; they are trying to sell me something that will work for me.  And that's what I want.


And if these over-the-counter drugstore products cost $40, and the celebrity-name products cost $14, it would be worth it to me to buy the drugstore one because I used it before and I know that it works.  But ironically, the drugstore one that works is the one that costs $14, and the Celebrity-one which I suspect is generic in a fancy jar is the one that costs $40!


Sometimes the better product is the less expensive one.


(And some people would say $14 is too much for a moisturizer -- in that case, in Walmart anyway, there's an Equate version of it, right there, for $7 or $8.)


(And one other irony -- while some of us select between a $14 product and one that costs $40, the beautiful celebrity selling us the $40 one probably uses on her own face a moisturizer that costs $180.)


------------------------- Celebrity beauty product videos led to plastic surgery videos -- not by my request, they just started popping up.  Plastic surgery grosses me out, I didn't think I'd click on any of those, but I did listen to some videos on a channel named "Lorry Hill."  

Her channel's mission is to educate viewers about which specific plastic surgery procedures actors and actresses may have had, because she believes it's unfair that celebrities have "work done" on their faces and bodies, and then deny it and want the public to believe that they are just naturally physically superior and more beautiful than everyone else.


Quite a mission! -- right?  She seems very sincere:  she tells you, each video, that she doesn't know what procedures they have had done, but by looking at photographs from different time periods, she makes guesses.


        So many comments on these videos echo my own thoughts about some of these "Beautiful People" -- they say, 'She was beautiful in the first place, why did she mess with her face?'

        One male viewer typed in the irate answer -- 'Because women are never satisfied with their looks -- or with anything else!'



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment