Monday, July 25, 2022

road-trip art

 


I could not stop blogging Jerry Hall's book!  I love the spirit with which she writes about getting started in the fashion-model business.  Her enthusiasm and focus are inspiring.

        When she mentioned in her book that she had watched French movies in school, including some by filmmaker Luis Buñuel, I remembered being taken to see a Buñuel movie during my freshman year at college:  I Googled list of his movies to see if I could remember which one I saw.  The two titles that are familiar to me are That Obscure Object of Desire, and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -- it must have been one of those.


        I liked how she called mashed potatoes "mash potatoes."


        Modeling:  it's kind of like acting, only you don't speak -- so -- like being a mime, sort of.


        When she wrote about meeting Antonio Lopez and she remembers what she was wearing, and what he was wearing, too.  This was 35 years after that meeting, when she was writing this book.  I wondered if she remembered what everybody was wearing right from memory, after so many years, or maybe she kept a diary and wrote down what they wore -- and then when she wrote her book she could consult that record. ...


        And boy, did she meet the people!

Salvador Dalí

King Vidor

Jean-Paul Sartre

Simone de Beauvoir

Andy Warhol


You'd have to have your wits about you, to make conversation with persons of such prominence in the world of arts and letters.  As a teenager (!)

        It seems like Jerry Hall has natural curiosity and eagerness to learn, as well as a magnetic personality.


        The group of photographs at the top of this post are some of the pictures Antonio Lopez took of Jerry during their car-trip from New York City to Texas.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment