Friday, July 8, 2022

where to find a star movie

 



I watched a movie on Amazon Prime where I could easily pick up on two influences:  the style of the movie was trying to be like The Sopranos, and also borrowing some methods from a modern classic mob movie that I could recognize right away.


        Then I realized the movie I was watching and the mob movie I was recalling were both directed by the same person.  Ah! - there's the connection....


        Being louder and dirtier does not make it a better film.


        Sometimes I think what makes the difference between an outstanding movie and a movie that really isn't very good is something we can't even define -- cannot put our finger on.

        There's a scene in The Sopranos where this phenomenon is discussed, only it's with music rather than a movie.  Hesh (played by Jerry Adler) explains when you listen to a song, "There's good and there's not good.  This [referring to a song by the knockabout band discovered by Adriana] -- is not good."


        The interiors in the 21st century movie I saw on Amazon Prime:  regular people's houses have some ugly decor; the super-rich people have some really ugly decor.

        So -- that's the difference.


What is beautiful?

What is good?

How to invent a movie that is, itself, a star...?


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment