Friday, October 4, 2024

Sunday mornin' comin' down

 


Kris Kristofferson, writer of the song "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down"


When I first heard the song title "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down", I loved the title, but when I looked up the song and started listening to Kris Kristofferson's recording of it, I didn't like it that much.

But I knew I wanted to listen again when I learned it was awarded 'Song Of The Year' - twice - in 1970, for the Johnny Cash recording of it, and in 1971 for Kris Kristofferson's recording.


A viewer comment under one of the You Tube videos of the song:


Randall Sundeen

        My grandmother was a very prim and proper Swede, however She loved this song.  Back in the early seventies when I was a child, She would make beef stroganoff for Me.  When she did this She would play this record and We would sing this song together.


...On a Sunday mornin' sidewalk

I'm wishin', Lord, that I was stoned

'Cause there's somethin' in a Sunday

That makes a body feel alone

And there's nothin' short of dyin'

That's half as lonesome as the sound

Of the sleepin' city sidewalk

And Sunday mornin' comin' down...

---------------------------------------------------------

...the line, "something in a Sunday that makes a body feel alone" - I remember having that feeling once when I was a little child - sometime between the year before kindergarten and the beginning of third grade, when we lived in Mineral City, Ohio.

        On a Sunday afternoon my mother was busy doing something and my dad was  asleep, and I was just - outside, at our house, and my friend-from-across-the-street Jackie was not around, and I had that feeling of empty alone-ness.

I didn't feel really upset or anything, I just felt like - Oh.



early Johnny Cash, on the Ed Sullivan Show


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment