You Tube viewer comments:
|| The "whelp" with the double knee slap when it's time to go.
|| "How were the roads"? Classic when they arrive
|| "Ope. Sorry, just gonna sneak right past ya." Gotta have that "sorry" in there. It's important for the "not being an inconvenience" complex.
|| Canadians have sorry locked down.
|| The Midwest goodbye, "well I better get going" proceeds to talk for another 3 hours.
|| "Twenty-below isn't so bad if the wind would stop blowing"
|| "I dunno about all that" = "That's dumb"
|| "Well, that's different." = I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns
|| "It is what it is" could be the slogan of any small town in the Midwest
----------------------------- No joke my (central Minnesota) High School senior class wanted to make this our class motto last year. Principal vetoed it.
|| As a Midwesterner engaged to a Canadian: No, yeah
|| My Minnesota family's favorite form of small talk is asking which route you took to get to the place where you met them.
Did ya take 94 the whole way, or did ya take the back roads?"
Nothing excites them quite like navigation.
|| 100% my dad any time we visit and no matter which way you go he always knows a better route lol
|| If you could just run to the store for us real quick, but if not, it's no biggie
|| Felt the, "rather suffer alone than ask someone to do something they don't want to do" in my f-cking soul
|| Also because frankly aggressive volumes of community service as default is both a religious / cultural value and expected, and will eat every last moment of your waking hours if someone doesn't give you an out on something.
|| "If not that's totally fine" is an everyday one for me lol
|| Suffering alone instead of bothering somebody for help, is the cornerstone of Japanese society, surprised to see it in the Midwest
|| "You guys" is the Midwest version of "y'all".
|| Way back when, Wisconsin had a brand of cash machine called "Tyme". When I moved to Chicago one day I was frantically looking (and asking people) if they had seen a "Tyme" machine.... got very funny looks!
|| I'm from Minnesota and I went to Colorado a few years back. We got an Uber back to the hotel and the driver guessed where we were from by the "yea no's" alone
|| I just used "ope, let me sneak past ya" the other day. They just looked at me and said "sawrry".
I love the Midwest.
|| I can totally relate, with pushing my emotions and feelings deep down and never reveal them, just let it out slowly over time victim by victim!!!
|| My old man is a born and raised Finnish Minnesotan. He complimented me for the first time when I was 38 years old. It was beautiful but brief...and never happened again. Midwest emotions, ha!
|| I continue to be stunned at how similar Midwestern and Norwegian culture is
|| I was in Germany for work and the "Yeah, No, Yeahs" definitely caused some confusion a few times. They spoke perfect English too.
--------------------- Europeans often learn British English or Hollywood English, any other localism will throw them off.
|| When you think about it, the Yeah no Yeahs are a derivative of the don't wanna inconvenience you lol
|| I was born and raised on Long Island. I've lived my entire life in the Northeast. I absolutely LOVE saying "ope". I've yet to pair it with "lemme sneak right past ya" but my goal is to get there one day.
*[the name of the channel is You Betcha.]
No comments:
Post a Comment