When we have the Internet, we can look stuff up all the time. If I'm listening to (or watching) a TV series or a show, and I notice an actor or actress who did a particularly great job, I can pause the show, click on the "G" and look up the actor, see their life story - born in New York, one marriage or 55 marriages (whatever), what other shows they were in, what their name was originally, before they changed it for show business, etc.
I like to do it - I like to have that information at my fingertips. But then there's also this reality of doubt around the edges - - - is the information - correct??
Like - what good is it, if it might be wrong, right? Ha.
Sometimes, you can "Google" something and get conflicting information.
If your phone gets wet, there are people advising you to put it in rice, the rice will soak out the moisture.
Then, the latest thing on Google on that topic is, ----- Don't put it in rice, because the rice can leave a "starchy dust" that can turn into a "glue-like paste" that will mess up your phone. Or - re-mess it up, because it's already messed up from being wet....
Ooooohhhhh - kay ... original mess getting - messier. ...
Not the goal.
But then again, maybe that's not true. Maybe rice would fix the problem, but the people putting information on the Internet don't want your phone to start working again, they just want you to have to buy a new phone.
So it kind of becomes a question of - what, if anything, is actually true??
I remember when I first began to get familiar with the Internet (in early 2000s) and I mentioned to a local veterinarian that I read something on the Internet, and she emphatically stated to me, "Don't take advice for your cat or dog from the Internet, there's a lot of bad, and wrong, information on there!" [words to that effect]
She didn't want any animals to suffer because of lies on the Internet.
I agreed with that, and was glad she was giving that advice to people.
The bottom line being: 'OK, there's information, but don't trust it. ...'
So - what good is it??!!
WHAT - IS - THE - POINT - ???!!!
A couple of months ago, I had a wedding to go to. I had not been to a wedding in a long time - I looked in my closet - what am I going to wear? I went through a couple of outfit ideas, and then thought the best idea was a simple ensemble of black slacks and pink top (plus buy some shoes to wear that aren't clunky).
I got the shoe conundrum solved, non-clunked.... but wondered if it's OK to wear black slacks to a wedding, because I have heard you mustn't wear black to a wedding.
But it would be black that isn't up by your face, so it isn't making any kind of negative statement, it's just slacks.
So I Googled - can I wear black slacks and a pink top to a wedding? - and "it" answered me, saying, 'You're good to go!'
So - I wore that outfit to the wedding, and I didn't get - ejected, so it worked out.
-30-
No comments:
Post a Comment