Tuesday, November 24, 2009

an excellent Saturday!

THIS SATURDAY,
November 28

on Turner Classic Movies,
a string of excellent films
(no commercials -- yay!!)

(times listed are Eastern)

6:00 am "Singing In The Rain"

8:00 am "That's Entertainment!"

12:00 noon "The Thin Man"

2:00 pm "The Man Who Knew Too Much"

6:00 pm "Casablanca"

------------------------------------------------------------

"Casablanca" is my favorite. Here's lookin' at you, kid. A perfect film. A diamond. A star. The best thing in the world.

"The Man Who Knew Too Much" -- Alfred Hitchcock directed. In his SUSPENSE phase. (The HORROR-leaning phase came later, in the 60s, with The Birds and Psycho. Psycho's good. I can't deal with The Birds. I LOVE his suspense films of the 40s and 50s.) Man Who -- James Stewart, Doris Day; mystery; beautiful cinematography; great psychological shadings in the story.

"The Thin Man" -- William Powell and Myrna Loy make one of those fabulous classic-movie couples. Witty repartee (sp?). Yay. A mystery / comedy. Black-and-white. Gorgeous.

"That's Entertainment!" -- Have only seen this once, on network TV when I was a teenager -- I don't remember the details of the program, but remember the title and the impression it made on me. Will watch again this Saturday.

"Singing In The Rain" -- I'm the last person in the free world who hasn't seen this movie. Friday the 27th I work until 10pm. Will I be able to wake up to watch "Singing In The Rain" at 5:00 am central time?? Wait and see; the suspense is endless.

Granted, I could rent it or buy it, or probably borrow a copy of it from a friend -- but there's something about watching the commercial-free classic film when it's on. It's like -- if Ted Turner's going to offer it to me, then I want to accept and enjoy.

Knew billionaires were good for something.

Thanks Ted.

-30-

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a Saturday from my childhood courtesy of the BBC! There definitely IS something special about watching a film when it's on - and ditto Casablanca, an absolute classic. Not seen it for years though.

    ReplyDelete