Monday, November 16, 2009

Resist SOUND BITES

I think we should all resist the
Sound Bite Culture
which 24-7 cable news inaugurated and has perpetuated.

Sound Bites (or sight-bites, with the photographs and film footage)
are not necessarily (some would probably say are Rarely)
legitimate News.

Bites (sound / sight) are just a seconds-long thing-ie
to "grab" our attention
(so tired of word "grab")

and --

sell us
soap
diets
anti-depressants.

or etc.

What's the antidote?
I like to read something that says "analysis"

-30-

1 comment:

  1. I see it everywhere though. Misleading headlines to draw you in - even the BBC website is prone to indulge. But my particular bug-bear is news that 'requires' pictures - no pictures, no news - and how this is exploited by unsavoury regimes such as the one in Burma. Whoops - I'm ranting - apologies!

    ReplyDelete