Thursday, November 12, 2009

flatlined

A senior in high school told me earlier this week that the reason American workers' real wages have flatlined since the 1970s is because women went to work.

I said, "You're crazy, come on."

He says in the 1960s most households had one wage earner and by the 80s most households had two wage earners. He said doubling (approximately) the number of people working held wages at a lower level -- "supply and demand."

I earned my B.A. in English literature, while my young friend is majoring in some type of Economics starting next year, so I didn't dare argue with him. He made it sound good, but surely that can't be the reason. There's got to be some caveat which neither one of us could see.

Just what I need.
More LIFE MYSTERIES.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment