Saturday, April 3, 2010

kindest regards

A few days ago, e-mailed the Republican U.S. Senator from the state where I live. Urged him to take the lead on creating more civil political discourse. (I basically wanted him to fix Everything. That's why they get paid the big Salary.)

This morning, driving, thought -- "Yeah, I'll bet he'll get right on that."
----------------------------------------
When at a computer, checked my e-mail, and there was a reply from him (or from his computer) - !
"Kindest regards" at the end.

"I frequently work with my colleagues on the other side of the aisle..."
"...move forward with regional priorities."
"I will review all legislative proposals with an open mind, as I have always done."
"I also intend to protect the Senate's history of full and open consideration of major legislation..."
(This could have been a "shot" at the health care legislation, I'm not sure. When politicians want to stop their "colleagues on the other side of the aisle" from getting legislation passed, a frequent tactic is to claim process was not "open" enough. You could have full-time, non-stop debate for ten years, televised on 50 channels, streaming on the internet, equal time for speakers from both parties, and still at the end of ten years politicians who either didn't like the legislation, or liked it but just didn't want the other party to get credit for accomplishing it, would still say the process wasn't "open" enough and there wasn't enough debate.
This is a tactic. When you've run out of legitimate questions, problems, or criticisms, just say there wasn't enough debate or openness. Both Democrats and Republicans have used this tactic.

And I'm not sure my Senator was using this tactic. I'm "reading in." And it's not wrong to do that, because in politics there are often if not always un-stated meanings and hints and implications which are meant to "move" us in one direction or another. I "listen" for them.)

Sen. T. also wrote: "I believe this approach best reflects the tradition of independent thought and fair-mindedness that has come to define our political culture in [our state]."
That's a sentence which expresses the way things should be, as if they are. And maybe they are. Independent thought. Fair-mindedness. That's us! Who wouldn't want those? (I'll have some! Pass the plate!)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment