Monday, April 5, 2010

a thousand years young

Go on YouTube and type in
Arlo Guthrie & Willie Nelson.
Then click on "Enter."
The list presented on your screen will probably have at or near the top:
Arlo Guthrie & Willie Nelson, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken"
Play that for yourself.
It's a live performance in a nightclub in New Orleans called Tipitina's.

On Easter Sunday, played this for a boy who is 10 years old.
He knew who Willie Nelson was.
He knew the song (not this particular performance, but the song).
And he sort of knew who Arlo Guthrie is because his mom had recently given him an Arlo CD.
And -- my ten-year-old friend liked the performance I played for him. !

Satisfaction.
(Mick Jagger says he can't get it; if he calls to consult with me, I can now explain it to him.)

In front of the ten-year-old yesterday, referred to myself as being "a thousand years old"; he patiently and firmly (and articulately) told me, "You're not a thousand years old."

Maybe we should all have things Explained to us by ten-year-olds.

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment