Friday, April 16, 2010

stay hungry, stay humble

This morning listening to news on CNBC about S-E-C bringing civil suit against Goldman Sachs (sp?), I thought two things:

1) All these reporters, commentators, and spokespeople were saying how surprised they were. For heaven's sake, after all the news sloshing around us since autumn of '08 about the ECONOMIC DOWNTURN SUBPRIME MORTGAGES WALL STREET BLAH BLAH BLAH, how could anyone be "surprised" that Securities & Exchange Commission is investigating / suing / bringing charges / whatever....??

I'm not "surprised" -- and I am so far from being an "expert" or "in the know" in that field, it isn't even funny. I have no money in the stock market; I don't have a "broker"; I'm an English major, aspiring novel writer with a regular job far from NYC, never took an economics class in my life, and I'M not "surprised" by the SEC's action against Goldman Sachs. Why in the -- heck -- would these suit guys who report the Wall Street news be "surprised"? -- that, I really don't "get."

And
2) A manager in "my" workplace (the workplace where I show up to do my best every week-day) has gray T-shirts for each of his foremen, etc. On the back of each of these T-shirts are the words -- "Stay hungry, stay humble."

They have one of the best-performing production teams in the country, in their line of work. And they're not being sued, or worried in any way, by the S-E-C or any other regulatory entity.
My recommendation: our friends on Wall Street should get some "Stay hungry, stay humble" focus.

Seriously, I think that would be a radical alteration for any of those people because "Stay hungry, stay humble" is precisely and extremely the opposite of the mind-sets that are encouraged / created in the environment of "high finance."
("High."
High on what?! I think it's another world.)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment