Tuesday, April 27, 2010

a language all their own

This morning, doing stretch-Pilates and weights on a mat in front of my TV, on CNBC, wall-to-wall Senate Hearings of Wall Street people. Various senators questioning banker-folks. One senator brought up the term "thin files."

"Have you heard or used the term 'thin files'?"
The banker said no.
The same senator asked if he used or hears the term "barbelling."
No.

While I was listening, no one defined these.
What are they?
Thin files?
Barbelling? Bar - belling?
--------------------------------------
Made me think of a Woody Allen movie from 1979 (?) -- Manhattan. You can probably get it on YouTube -- part 3 or 4. Or 2. Woody Allen's character Isaac and his friend Yale are in a bookstore -- "Isaac" is worried and nervous. (There's news!)
^^^ "I quit my job; my accountant says I did this at a very bad time. I -- I don't have -- I don't have, cash. I'm cash-poor, or something. I'm--I'm not liquid. I got no cash-flow. I don't -- I don't know -- something -- something's not flowing. I don't -- there's a -- they've got a language all their own, those guys." ^^^

A language all their own, those guys.
Cash flow. Liquid. Bar-belling.

(I took that Woody Allen-talk from memory; please check it on YouTube, see how close I came to the actual dialogue - ...)

-30-


No comments:

Post a Comment