Monday, April 12, 2010

surprise connections

Connections happen sometimes between things you've noticed and it seems surprising. Coincidental.
Saturday I was driving by a railroad track where some train cars were sitting, stationary. One said "Santa Fe" on the side. And as I read that and drove I remembered an old movie I watched once on my roommate's small TV set in a Brighton, Mass. apartment -- "The Harvey Girls," with Judy Garland -- and there was a catchy, upbeat song in it with an unforgettable chorus: "...the Atchison, Topeka, and the San-ta-Fe!"

Then today in New York Times Review of Books, there's a blog they link to: "Paper Cuts / A Blog About Books" -- the April 9th post is about that movie. Why that? Why now? How did I happen to notice both, and What Are The Odds? (it's a rhetorical question; will never know the odds...)

Saturday a.m., getting ready to go out, "Men Of A Certain Age" on cable channel -- it's a well-reviewed show; I like it; one of the guys (in Sat.'s episode) used this quote: "The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." (--Allen Chalmers.)

I just used that same quote, which I found randomly, searching internet, in a March Blue Collar post titled "wait a minute."
Why that? Why now? How did I happen to notice both, and What Are The Odds?

Weird.
Things in your head and then they surface in other places.
Should I wonder about the other places? Or about my head?

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment