Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Honey you got a letter from the White House

My co-worker who received a letter from the president brought the letter in yesterday. I made a copy of it.



It is signed, "Sincerely, Barack Obama"



"Thank you for writing me..."etc.

"I appreciate hearing from you."



"I take seriously your opinions and respect your point of view on this important matter. Please know that your concerns will be on my mind in the days ahead."



I particularly liked those parts, but the whole letter was good.



He mentioned the website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/



The stationary is a really thick, strong piece of paper. Only three things printed on it, and centered at the top --

first, the Presidential seal (it isn't ink on paper -- it's dents -- an imprint, in the paper, like when you have something notarized).

Then the words, "THE WHITE HOUSE"

then the word, "WASHINGTON" -- in smaller letters.



Very clean and understated.



The date was typed in the center of the page, before the salutation. (I was taught that with a business letter the date was either over to the right-hand column, or at the left, right above their name, address, and "Dear so-and-so." The Maintenance Supervisor pointed out, "He's the president, he can put the date anywhere he wants to." True.)

My co-worker's husband was surprised when he picked up the mail: "Honey, you got a letter from -- the White House... - ?"

-30-

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool. I know I get a little charge when I get an email from the President, but to hold that piece of letterhead in your hand? Yeah, I would dig it.

    ReplyDelete