Friday, September 10, 2010

categories chasing you

In last Sunday's "New York Times Review of Books" they tell us there's a new book out called

Bob Dylan In America

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait.
It says, "The historian Sean Wilentz situates Bob Dylan in a long continuum of American music, literature, religion and politics."

I cannot help but worry, a little, that Bob Dylan himself may not appreciate this -- the word "situates" is bothering me. Artists never want to be stereotyped, limited, labeled, or categorized. (Dylan even had a song that says, "I don't wanna ....[something], categorize you...") And I'm thinking, they may not enjoy being "situated" either.

In the 60s, protesters and various leaders and pundits -- and many fans -- wanted to place Bob Dylan in a category of being "a protest singer" and he objected to being identified with one thing.

Now -- some historian has "situated" him.
Well -- ya know what? I think Dylan will live through it.
He may not need this book, but those of us who do not get to
be Dylan,
or date him,
want the book.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment