Wednesday, September 22, 2010

sweet


The Power Of Positive Thinking,
a book by Norman Vincent Peale -- published in 1952.
Yesterday I had it with me at work, and I described the book's philosophy to a guy who was not familiar with it.

He said, "They should pass that out at the door!
Especially in my department."

---------------------------------
In the book's introduction, Dr. Peale writes,
[quote]
"The purpose of this book is a very direct and simple one. It makes no pretense to literary excellence nor does it seek to demonstrate any unusual scholarship on my part. This is simply a practical, direct-action, personal-improvement manual. It is written with the sole objective of helping the reader achieve a happy, satisfying, and worthwhile life."
--------------------[end quote]
A nice mission.

A pretty pre-schooler greeted me and showed me her pink dress, this evening. She twirled, triumphantly. Someone admonished her "show-boating" -- I said, "Hey, that's what you do when you are wearing a pretty dress like that -- you twirl."
When I said I could remember twirling when I was her age, when wearing a special dress,
the child asked, incredulous,
"You were a little girl before?"

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment