Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Love on your mind

Watched some scenes from "Coal Miner's Daughter":
now, cannot get the song "Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' with Lovin' on your Mind"
out of my head.

Loretta Lynn had her own thing going on, as a songwriter.
She tells it like it is.
Calls 'em as she sees 'em.

"You Ain't Woman Enough to Take my Man"
and --
"Fist City" -- what a concept.
It's apparently a variation on the old expression, How would you like a "knuckle sandwich"?
(Of course, if one goes to "Fist City" for dinner, surely a "knuckle sandwich" would be the thing to order...)

Her songs were straight-ahead, practical, literal snapshots of real life in a certain culture, and feelings and thoughts on how things could possibly be a little better.
------------------Made me think about --
Chuck Berry.
He was quoted about his songwriting -- he said, (something like) -- "Most of the people have cars, so I wrote about cars. Most people have been to school; I wrote about school. And most people have been, or soon will be, in love -- so I wrote about love."

-30-

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard the Chuck Berry quote before. He's was quite practical.

    ReplyDelete