Monday, September 20, 2010

every once in a while

a poem from the weekend:

"stock market"
Downtown
in Boston's financial district
-- State Street
an office building
with fifty floors
glass and steel.
Out the window,
blue sky and
the tops of other
buildings.
Stockbrokers,
desk after desk,
by the window
& up on the second level
all in rows
wearing similar clothes
like the little girls
in hats
in the Madeline books.
- - - - - - -
Sometimes in the office and in the elevator
Mel Aronson and I
would talk;
(he was "old"
and I wanted to
learn from him).
"I wonder if I should
take the test and
be a broker.
It seems like
an interesting business."
He answered me,
very seriously,
"It's a greedy business."
- - - - - - -
In the years since
As work
experiences
and
aspirations
changed, evolved --
I've recalled
that sentence,
every once in a while.
-30-

1 comment: