Thursday, September 2, 2010

first live band

The first time I ever saw a "live band" perform was an adventurous day that I will never forget.

Had not thought about it in a long time -- lately have been listening to so much music, at home & other, maybe that's why the memory came back.

Where my family lived in Ohio, when I was in fifth or sixth grade, a new family started coming to church -- a husband & wife (we'll call them Mr. & Mrs. CX), and their daughter. They were new members, and looking back and trying to figure it out, I'm thinking they probably started attending church because my father invited them.

I was taken along a couple of times when my dad "called on" them -- ministers used to do that, don't think they probably do anymore; people are too busy & don't want company, a lot of times -- plus, I think today's Protestant pastors (and others too maybe) do not want to come across as "crusading," or as "knockin'-on-your-door-Jehovah-Witness-types" (no disrespect, but you know...that's the way people are -- they're picky about how they're perceived)....

[Thinking about ministers "calling on" parishioners (sp?) makes me think, God, if someone who is 19 or something was reading my blog they would probably think I'm from the Stone Age.

I may be from the Rolling Stone age, but not the Stone Age.]

Mr. & Mrs. CX were just a little different from most people I knew (and I didn't know many -- so maybe they weren't so different). Don't even know if I can specify, or express it.
I didn't think this at the time, but looking back I'm imagining that Mr. & Mrs. CX were -- possibly folks whom previous ministers and Ladies' Auxiliary types had -- shall we say -- not remembered to invite.

The CXes lived out in the country. Their daughter had a pony (!) -- there were a few dogs and cats, a large garden, I think. The house was -- now, I was not like a real estate child prodigy or anything -- what did I know? But I just had this impression, that -- the house was more like something you would have "up at the lake" and call it your Lake Cabin, or your Summer Cottage. But that was Their House. That was it.

The mom was very caring, wanted to please you and give you food and wanted you to have fun. She MADE donuts, at home.
The father seemed a little gruff and distant, to me. Once he was wearing a tee-shirt with no shirt over it. Just the tee-shirt, with his slacks. (It was like sitting around with Stanley Kowalski. ["Stella! Stell--aahhh!"])

---------------------------------------------------
My family was invited to the CXes' house for their anniversary celebration. We went during the day -- think it was Sunday afternoon.

A minister's family gets invited to some occasions that other people wouldn't -- like weddings of people you don't know, because your father is performing the ceremony. Cake and those funny little mints which I thought you could only get at weddings.
And you don't get invited to some occasions where other people would get invited -- if it is going to be cocktail-y, the hosts fear the minister wouldn't "approve."

But the thing at the CXes house that Sunday afternoon was a party. I didn't "get" that, going in: expected it to be one of the many boring things I was brought to throughout childhood. I don't recall that there were any other people there, that we knew. First, think I was outside playing with other children, but at some point I discovered "live music" in these people's living room.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a completely new experience for me.
A band.
In the living room.
And it wasn't a real big room, so the band was -- RIGHT THERE.
I was -- like -- practically on top of the band. Maybe five feet away.
Loud. Electric. Three men, (I think), and a woman. The woman's hair was a teased bouffant; the men's hair was slicked back, looked like it was wet. Yes, that look.
The name of the band was printed on the drum.
They played country music.
I didn't know any of the songs, but I was thrilled.
To be right there -- in the same room -- where a band was playing.
We had band in school; I was IN it; but that wasn't anything like this.

Some of the adults DANCED. The two-step, probably. Even though there was something vaguely tough, and rough-edged about these people -- as if they had seen hard times, or something -- when I discovered the band playing and saw people get up and dance, it became the hottest "scene" I had ever seen.

I thought it was so exciting and amazing. I was inspired. I couldn't participate in any way -- but to watch -- which I did -- and then when the band took a break, I got this idea -- went up to them with paper and a pen and asked for their autographs.

(They seemed a little surprised by that -- think they were bemused.)
-----------------------------------------
We left while it was still light out. As we drove away my father said, "There is going to be a fight there, before the night's over."

(I didn't see why. -- They had a BAND!)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment