Tuesday, December 1, 2020

for a while I lost sight of Jordan Baker

 

painting by Zelda Fitzgerald


[excerpt, The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald]


I began to like New York, the racy, adventurous feel of it at night and the satisfaction that the constant flicker of men and women and machines gives to the restless eye.  

I liked to walk up Fifth Avenue and pick out romantic women from the crowd and imagine that in a few minutes I was going to enter into their lives, and no one would ever know or disapprove.  

Sometimes, in my  mind, I followed them to their apartments on the corners of hidden streets, and they turned and smiled back at me before they faded through a door into warm darkness.  


At the enchanted metropolitan twilight I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--poor young clerks who loitered in front of windows waiting until it was time for a solitary restaurant dinner--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.



Again at eight o'clock, when the dark lanes of the Forties were five deep with throbbing taxi cabs, bound for the theatre district, I felt a sinking in my heart.  Forms leaned together in the taxis as they waited, and voices sang, and there was laughter from unheard jokes, and lighted cigarettes outlined unintelligible gestures inside.  Imagining that I, too, was hurrying toward gayety and sharing their intimate excitement, I wished them well.



For a while I lost sight of Jordan Baker, and then in midsummer I found her again.  At first I was flattered to go places with her because she was a golf champion and every one knew her name.  Then it was something more.  I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity.  The bored haughty face that she turned to the world concealed something--most affectations conceal something eventually, even though they don't in the beginning--and one day I found what it was.  

When we were on a house-party together up in Warwick, she left a borrowed car out in the rain with the top down, and then lied about it--and suddenly I remembered the story about her that had eluded me that night at Daisy's.  


At her first big golf tournament there was a row that nearly reached the newspapers--a suggestion that she had moved her ball from a bad lie in the semi-final round.  The thing approached the proportions of a scandal--then died away.  A caddy retracted his statement and the only other witness admitted that he might have been mistaken.  The incident and the name had remained together in my mind.



Jordan Baker instinctively avoided clever, shrewd men, and now I saw that this was because she felt safer on a plane where any divergence from a code would be thought impossible.  She was incurably dishonest.  

She wasn't able to endure being at a disadvantage, and given this unwillingness, I suppose she had begun dealing in subterfuges when she was very young in order to keep that cool, insolent smile turned to the world and yet satisfy the demands of her hard jaunty body.


It made no difference to me.  Dishonesty in a woman is a thing you never blame deeply--I was casually sorry, and then I forgot.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment