Friday, December 11, 2020

hey I don't care - how long it's gonna take

 


-------------- [excerpt from Jackie as Editor, by Greg Lawrence] -------------------- 

Viking was not the only publishing house that Jackie approached. A former editorial director at Random House, Jason Epstein, wrote in his memoir, Eating, "One day Jackie Onassis called me to ask if she could take me to lunch at Lutèce.  We met a week or so later.... 

My friend Pete Hamill, who had once taken Jackie out, said it was like 'taking King Kong to the beach.'...


We took a table upstairs, in one of the small rooms, and ordered shad roe, the first of the season.  She asked if there was a job for her at Random House.  

She wanted to be an editor....However, there was a problem.  Entry-level editorial jobs were scarce and much in demand....


I told Jackie that I believed she would take the job seriously, be a good colleague, and learn the ropes easily.  But I also told her that we would have to create an opening for her, and this  might not be fair to the assistants.  


Before I could ask her to let me talk it over with my colleagues, she said that she understood my problem and didn't want to impose."

________________________________

________________________________

On You Tube type in

Try Just a Little Bit Harder, Janis Joplin

and play.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment