Tuesday, December 15, 2020

stand down Margaret

 


You know when you hear a measure or three of a song, playing over film credits or behind a commercial message, and you wish you could find out what song that is?  Because it sounds like a good one....?


     There's an episode of The Crown (Netflix series) where it tells about Michael Fagan, the man who entered Buckingham Palace uninvited -- twice, in the summer of 1982.  The second time he got in (unnoticed) he went into the Queen's bedroom and had a conversation with her.


     I remember that news story, somehow.


     At the end of the episode, over the credits, a song plays -- sounded like they were saying, "Stand down Margaret; stand down please; stand down Mar--garr--ett".


     Back in the day, if I had heard a little snippet of that song I would not have been able to find the song--I would have been helplessly desolately isolated from the song, from the information...

     Now with the Internet--last Saturday I typed in on You Tube "stand down margaret" and--zzzhhhiinngg! I get to hear the song.


     The best video of it I found has the title

"The Beat - Stand Down Margaret (OTT 1982) - You Tube."


It starts out with a guy yelling happily into the camera--don't let it scare you, it only lasts for about 5 seconds, as he is introducing the band.  Yelling, with enthusiasm in some kind of British accent...

     And then the band plays the song--it's the same one on The Crown episode ending credits!  It sounds so good, I love it!


     I thought it was reggae, but someone in the comments said it's ska.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment