Tuesday, May 10, 2022

trickle of fascism

 


Cabaret comments:


~~ I adore this film.  It's got the ability to make you laugh, think, and fear the worst all in the space of a couple of hours.  The musical numbers are spot on and Minnelli is outstanding as the chaotic girl about town.


~~ The nightclub in the movie represents nihilist escapism.


~~ The movie is all about political apathy which is why "the Nazi thing" seems like a second thought.  Through its pacing, the movie subtly illustrates the trickle of fascism into everyday life in Weimar Germany.  This goes largely unnoticed by tuned out characters like Sally which makes the final shot with the audience in the cabaret so foreboding.

______________________________________


On You Tube find the video titled,

Liza Minnelli Performing Mein Herr with Chair

uploader:  OneoftheImmortals - And play... ♪ ♪ ♫


You have to understand the way I am, mein Herr

A tiger is a tiger, not a lamb, mein Herr

You'll never turn the vinegar to jam, mein Herr

So I do, what I do

When I'm through, then I'm through

And I'm through, toodle-oo


Bye bye mein lieber Herr, farewell mein lieber Herr

It was a fine affair, but now it's over

And though I used to care, I need the open air

You're better off without me, mein Herr...


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment