Wednesday, November 9, 2022

on the way to Jupiter

 

James Stewart, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn

in The Philadelphia Story


When I see a Comments section under an article on the Internet, the things I enjoy about it include the names of Commenters -- some of them maybe the person's actual name, and some of them screen names; also the location of the person -- New England; Evanston, Illinois; Paris, France, etc.

        And then I also enjoy the substance of the Comments.


Last month the New York Times ran a review of Bob Dylan's new book, The Philosophy Of Modern Song, and the 680 Reader Comments underneath were like an early Christmas present for me.

____________________________


Jim

Newburgh, NY

Although I am a long-time and frequent imbiber of all things Dylan, I am blown away by these excerpts.  Yes, they echo previous projects, most notably Theme Time Radio, but they are so fresh in content and in style.  

What a delight to be alive when our modern Bard is still writing music, releasing recordings, performing on stage, and writing books!  Dylan is one of the few bright spots in our era of growing darkness.  

        In fact, maybe he's why "it's not dark yet."  Then again, "it's getting there."



Danny Blue

Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Dylan is FUN, something that others may miss when discussing such an immense figure of the past 60 years.  Both his writings and song lyrics have always been impressionistic, wildly entertaining.  

        This capacity for being "fun," is no doubt a result of Dylan not taking himself as seriously as his fans and critics are wont to do . . . .


Jon

Ann Arbor, Michigan

George Harrison was once asked whether he thought the Beatles music would last.  "I think we'll be around for a while" he said, "but they'll be listening to Bob on the way to Jupiter".


2REP

Washington state

The first time I heard Bob Dylan was in December 1965, in the central highlands of Vietnam, in a tent at the First Cavalry Division (Airmobile) base camp at An Khe.  

A guy in my squad had a tape recorder, and he loved "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35."  

        I was 18.  I thought it was the weirdest song and the weirdest voice I'd ever heard.  I have been a fan ever since.  

Sometimes that song just pops into my head.  


I'm 75 years old.  Every time I hear that song I think of that time, that place, and those guys, so many years ago.  "They'll stone you and then say you are brave  They'll stone you when you are set down in your grave"

______________________________

__________________________


...But I would not - feel so all alone,

Everybody must get stoned!

        ♫♫ ♪♪


Washington state;

Lancaster;

Newburgh... All these places in America, and in the world; you listen to the sound of their syllables and imagine what kind of lives are lived in those places and what people smile about...


Ann Arbor.

I like the sound of that city's name.


In The Philadelphia Story, James Stewart's character tells Katharine Hepburn's character that he is from South Bend, Indiana.

Katharine Hepburn says -- almost sings -- "South Bend!  It sounds like dancing ('daunce-ing'), doesn't it?"

        That's how I feel about "Ann Arbor"....


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment