Thursday, November 3, 2022

when The Big Easy was a Windy City

 



I was looking for photographs of Conway Twitty and boy, when you look at the images there's melancholy in his eyes, even when he is smiling.


Listening to an Internet video, I heard someone recount the story -- after Hurricane Katrina someone criticized then-President George W. Bush because relief was slow in getting organized -- and Kanye West added, "Well that's because President Bush doesn't care about black people."

        Someone in the White House informed the president, "Kanye says you don't care about black people," and Bush got mad and demanded, "Who is this Conway?!"


________________________________


a poem about New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina:


"New Orleans Remains"

by Dean Alan Cook

--------------------------


Triumph over Tragedy

do we not all root for Triumph

How sad are the many tragedies

Take the City of New Orleans

One of the truly great American cities

The only one of its kind

Celebration and Sadness

we all want the celebration

No one roots for sadness to prevail

The city has seen its share of both

but the heart and soul continue

For this city will not die

Citizens and Others praying for successes

Chasing away the blues

How can it be

that I love this town so

Show me the beauty

and I will understand the opposite

Show me the opposite

and I will search out the beauty

I want to be one of her people


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment