Monday, November 28, 2022

ripping off the consequence-immune

 

Hustlers   (2019)


The last night to watch American Beauty (1999) on Netflix is November 30th -- however, it just showed up on Amazon Prime Video...sometimes that happens, a film "overlaps"...


I finally said, "I want to see Hustlers," so paid to see it on Amazon.

Tighter pacing would have helped this film, but it's not bad.

It got more interesting for me when I read somewhere that it was to be a sort of parallel, or homage, to Goodfellas.  

        So I said, 'OK - watch them back-to-back...'


The Jennifer Lopez character has the nerves-of-steel for that shit they're doing, but not everyone in her crew does:  when the Constance Wu character says softly, "I don't want to hurt anybody," you realize -- OK, this young lady does not belong anywhere near the credit-card operation, and maybe not even in the primary, original job which was being a "stripper."  

        And when Ramona starts recruiting random marginal ladies of doubtful repute -- it starts a downward slide which is similar to Goodfellas -- where it all falls apart...


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment