Wednesday, May 31, 2023

"everything up to that point had been left unresolved"

 


currently on Amazon Prime:

Ordinary People


on Netflix:

Spycraft

The Hollywood Masters


The Hollywood Masters is a series of interviews with people in the movie business.  The first one is with Jake Gyllenhaal -- that one was making me lose interest -- I almost turned off the series, but instead I forwarded to the next installment, and after that each interview was interesting -- to me, anyway.  Michael Caine...Oliver Stone....


Ordinary People is a film that came out in 1980, starring Mary Tyler Moore, Donald Sutherland, Timothy Hutton, and Judd Hirsch.

        I started to describe it as a "sad movie" but then I thought, Well, not exactly -- it's a story of a family where something tragic occurred, and then how the mom and dad and son work through it and learn how to live, and keep going.  It explores people's individual possibilities and limitations.


I didn't see Ordinary People when it came out -- at that time I wasn't in the mood for a serious drama about sad stuff, or to see Mary Tyler Moore in a show that wasn't light-hearted and funny.  She really played "against type" in this.

        Robert Redford directed.


This time -- I was glad I watched it.  Beautiful-looking movie, colors and exteriors.  And such good acting, direction, everything. 

 

        The kid's swim-team coach was a jerk.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment