Wednesday, May 24, 2023

not far

 ♫

...On Highway Number Nineteen

The people keep the city clean

They call it Nutbush -- Nutbush city limits...



Tina Turner

November 26, 1939 - May 24, 2023

_______________________________


[excerpt from interview with Tina Turner in the January-February 2021 issue of Harvard Business Review] ----------------------

Of all the awards you've won, which have meant the most and why?

        When I was going through some of the hardest times in my life as a solo artist, some of my jazz friends, Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock and their families, took in me and my sons and helped me get back on my feet.  

We would sometimes chant together for several hours, and I would dream about a future in which we'd all be happy and successful.  

        So winning the Grammy for album of the year for River: The Joni Letters with Herbie and Wayne was very sweet.



What advice would you give to young people making their way up in creative fields today?

        Stay true to yourself, work hard, and be reliable.  Taking the road less traveled is often harder but well worth it.  And no matter what, never give up.


        ...I have always felt connected to Switzerland...  It is an especially spiritual place.  It's hard to describe, but the natural environment here embraces me with a loving energy that comes from both outside me and within.  Where I live by Lake Zurich is not far from pastures that remind me of Nutbush, which is another reason I've always liked Switzerland.


        My retirement has given me more time to relax and reflect.  It offered an opportunity to pursue something I'd wanted to do for decades:  write a book about my spiritual journey.  This time in my life has also given me more time to read, to support the interfaith Beyond Music project, and to spend time just being.

Lake Zurich



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment