Tuesday, May 16, 2023

who would do such a thing?!

 


Some details in movies or TV shows don't match up to how we would do things in life, and one realizes it's probably because it's more important for the filmmakers to tell the story, than to get every small thing the way it would be if we were really doing it.


However, the ones I can't help noticing are --

+  when people enter a house or apartment and do not close the door behind them

+  when a person is driving a car and they don't keep their eyes on the road and surrounding traffic.


The car one:  the driver of the car is conversing with a person in the passenger seat, and he looks at the person he's talking to, while still driving forward.

        Don't keep the car moving forward if you are not watching forward... is the way I feel about it.

        But someone filming the sequence feels it serves the story or drama best if the people look at each other when they're conversing.  The audience can see facial expressions and reactions...


I find myself thinking, "Watch the road!"


There's an episode of The Sopranos where the character Vito is driving a car on a country road.  Trees all around, with bare branches; snow on the ground.  

        Music is on in the car:  Frank Sinatra singing "My Way."  

        Vito takes out a square-shaped bottle of hard liquor and has a rather long drink, while taking a curve in the road -- he looks out of the passenger-side window as if contemplating the landscape, and crashes into the back of a vehicle that's parked right on the road by a mailbox.


("Watch the road!!")


The driver of the parked vehicle is standing there.  Startled, he backs up several steps.


VITO

Fuck!


He tries to back up, pulling and dragging on the other car, as the two vehicles are now partially enmeshed.


The driver of the other car, a tall, slim New Englander, starts yelling:


"Whoa!  Whoa!  Whoa-whoa-whoa!"


Vito gets out of his car, looking extremely frustrated.  (This is one more thing....)


NEW ENGLAND GUY

Jesus!  Are you all right?


VITO

The fuck you doin' parked out here?


NEW ENGLAND GUY

Excuse me?  I'm getting my mail.  You're driving like a maniac.

(He looks past Vito, into the car)

My God.  How come your airbag didn't go off?


VITO

Somebody took it out.  They sold it.


NEW ENGLAND

Sold it?  Who would do such a thing?


VITO

Look.  I'm really sorry.  I was in a rush.


NEW ENGLAND

So you admit it was your fault.


VITO

Yeah.  Absolutely.  Let me get the damages here, and I'll be on my way.


NEW ENGLAND

Rmmmh -- we should file a police report.  You got a phone?


VITO

No, seriously.  What do you say, 500 bucks?

(pause)

Look.  I took the worst of it.


NEW ENGLAND

And then you call your insurance on me?  No thank you.


VITO

I'm not gonna do that!  Six?


NEW ENGLAND

Look.  I don't want an ah - gument here.  My place is just up the drive, there.  We'll call the police -- they'll come right out.


Vito nods reluctantly -- turns back toward his car, dejected, defeated, weary.


NEW ENGLAND

Turn on your hazards.


VITO

Let me get my registration.


The citizen starts walking.  Vito reaches into his car, then shuts the car door, and looks around with a thorough, wary glance.


MEDIUM SHOT:  The New Englander walking.  We see him from the back, Vito's point of view.


MEDIUM SHOT:  We  see the citizen walking from the front -- coming towards us.  We see Vito walking behind him, a jacket clutched in one hand.

        With the other hand Vito takes the jacket, lifts it away, and in the hand that previously was holding the jacket, is a handgun.


Vito raises the gun and shoots the guy in the back of the head.  The guy falls dead.


NEXT SHOT:  Vito is back in his car -- driving back and forward to try and unhook from the other car; after several back-and-forths, he succeeds and drives away in a flurry of impatient obscenities.

____________________________


(You Tube video titled

Les Sopranos Accident Vito

uploader / channel:  Roronoa_D_Law)


comments


Will Eccleston

I've always found Vito's meltdown as he drove away hilarious.


------------- Moral of the story if someone crashes into you and offers you money just take it


--------- Yeah better to get paid out than whacked


------------ My brother in law did that once, they tore his bumper off but gave him like $200.  Vito offered $600 in the end.  I'd be suspicious if someone offered me that much and I'd take it.


---------- Especially if he has a thick New York / Jersey accent, is vaguely Italian-looking, smells of liquor, and his airbags didn't go off.


--------- Or park in your drive then get the mail


-------------- Especially when they smell like booze and are mobbed up.


------------- Not only that, but the reason the airbag didn't go off is because he sold it.  I mean, how many more red flags did this guy need?


Francisco Vega

Especially if there are no witnesses in the middle of nowhere and the guy tells you someone sold the air bag.


-------- I think it also has to do with the fact that airbags are now a standard feature on any car & back in the day they weren't necessarily going to come pre-installed.

        Either way, the airbag thing was the biggest and brightest red flag that the guy missed


Patrick Bateman

"Turn on your hazards."  Said the guy who was just parked in the middle of the road without his hazards on.


Hayden G3

This is rural New Hampshire.  Vito was probably the first guy that dude saw on that road in half an hour.  Rarely does anyone bother to put on hazards when pulling over for a second like this


Abraham Lincoln

This show gave me a life lesson.  Don't call the police and just accept the money.


_____________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment