Monday, May 9, 2016

the people getting ripped off



I'll tip my hat to the next constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray --
We don't get fooled again


-- The Who





________________________




Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas; Mean Streets; The Last Waltz) made a documentary about Bob Dylan called No Direction Home.  In it, a wonderful man named Izzy Young is interviewed -- in NYC, he runs the Folklore Center, or something...he tells the interviewer that back in the early '60s Dylan gave some wild stories about what he'd done and where he'd been.  (Minneapolis, [true]; South Dakota [maybe true]; Gallup, New Mexico [not so much], etc. ...)


Young reads aloud from his own journals -- notebooks on his lap, in a room of books and records...notes he'd made from his conversations with Robert Zimmerman / Bob Dylan, "back in the day." 


Mr. Young's New York accent bubbles simultaneously with big-city skepticism and wonder, as he reads.  'This place, that place, those states, worked as a ranch hand, a cowboy,' etc. etc. 


Izzy Young looks up from the old notebooks and tells the interviewer, "I should have known -- he was bullshitting me.  I was taken in, and I don't mind; I'm proud of it -- because he wrote terrific songs.  I didn't care what he was telling me..."











Back then, Dylan was finding his identity as a person and as a musical explorer and artist.  In Scorsese's film, Dylan comments about his early personal myth-making, saying, "It didn't matter to me what I said."  And, after a slight pause, "Still doesn't, really."


I have to recall these quotations when I contemplate Candidate Trump ("Citizen Trump," like "Citizen Kane"??)