Friday, May 27, 2016

thinking about Gaslight



Yesterday I was trying to remember all of Alfred Hitchcock's movies made between 1940 and 1960 -- I came up with a list of 10:


Shadow of a Doubt


Rebecca


Notorious


Strangers on a Train


Vertigo


North by Northwest


The Man Who Knew Too Much


Rear Window


To Catch a Thief


Foreign Correspondent


________________________


Now, to -- use "Google" as a verb ('today I Google; yesterday I Googled; tomorrow I will have been Googling...') and see which movies I missed, using my own memory alone...


OK, besides the 10 films I remembered, there are fourteen more:


Mr. & Mrs. Smith


Suspicion


Saboteur


Lifeboat


The Fighting Generation


Spellbound


The Paradine Case


Rope


Under Capricorn


Stage Fright


I Confess


Dial M for Murder


The Trouble with Harry


The Wrong Man


------------------------------ So out of 24, I could independently remember 10 -- (guess you might call that a "minority report")...




I believe all 10 of my favorite Hitchcock films could be described as having qualities of "film noir" about them. 


The Third Man and Gaslight have noir aspects, or are noir, depending on which expert you listen to; and Citizen Kane is in the noir style, I think.


These movies overlap each other in the film viewer's consciousness because of --


~~  having Joseph Cotten in them (some)


~~  directed by Alfred Hitchcock (some)


~~  being noir


~~  suspense - thriller aspects


~~  having Ingrid Bergman in them (Gaslight, and Notorious)


_______________________________


Thinking about Gaslight,





I kept forgetting that it wasn't a Hitchcock film.


It was directed by George Cukor







(1899 - 1983), who made mostly comedies and literary adaptations.  His lengthy and overflowing filmography also included Little Women;







Dinner at Eight; part of Gone with the Wind; The Philadelphia Story; Adam's Rib; Born Yesterday;





and My Fair Lady.







An Amazon customer reviewed Gaslight on dvd and wrote, "LOVE THIS SHOW!!  I don't consider myself a movie buff, however, I do enjoy them immensely.  Gaslight is by far my favorite black and white. 


Ingrid Bergman is one of my favorite actresses to watch....If you are an old movie lover, this is a MUST see, and if you haven't seen any old black and whites, then this one will definitely get you interested in broadening your horizons.  Highly recommend!!"


(I like seeing Happy Reviews...)





-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment