Wednesday, January 25, 2017

with each glance and every little movement



Who can turn the world on with her smile?


Who can take a nothing day,
and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?...








LOU GRANT
Hey!  You live in my favorite neighborhood.


MARY
Really?  I just moved in -- is it that nice?


LOU
Nice?  Some of the best saloons in town are over there.
(hands her a cup of coffee, and sits down behind the desk with a cup for himself)
How old are you?


MARY
Thirty.


LOU
No hedging!  No -- "How old do I look?"


MARY
(with a light, confident laugh)  Why hedge?
(pause)
How old do I look?


LOU
(taking whiskey bottle from lower desk drawer and pouring some into his coffee)
Thirty.  What religion are you?


MARY
Mr. Grant, I don't know quite how to say this, but you're not allowed to ask that when somebody's applying for a job.  It's against the law.


LOU
Wanna call a cop?


MARY
No.


LOU
Good.  Would you think I was violating your civil rights if I asked if you're married?


MARY
Presbyterian.


(Lou looks confused)


MARY
I - uh, I - decided I'd answer your religion question.


LOU
Divorced.


MARY
No.


LOU
Never married?


MARY
No.


LOU
Why?


MARY
Why?


Lou
(with a slightly impatient shrug) - Do you type?


MARY
There's no simple answer to that question.


LOU
Yes there is.  How about, 'No, I can't type' or 'Yes, I can.'


MARY
There's no simple answer to why a person isn't married.


LOU
(disinterested) - how many different reasons can there be?


MARY
Sixty-five.


LOU
(points at her, and coughs slightly, swallowing some whiskey-coffee)
My typing question.


Mary nods.


LOU
Look Miss, why don't you try answering the questions as I ask them. ...   







--------------------------








-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment