Wednesday, November 8, 2023

doin' the best that we can

 


In the wake of looking up Mac Davis's famous and amusing song, "It's Hard To Be Humble," You Tube informed me that Willie Nelson covered this song in 2019.


You Tube that, and listen - it's excellent!


Willie Nelson has that particular sound that's so recognizable, the first time you hear it, you swear you already know it.  There's that kind of downbeat - a "clunk" - and then an open, resonant style of playing that just makes a pattern in your brain.

        Parts of the instrumental travel together, then push against each other for a few measures, then come back together and keep going forward to the very inviting and satisfying hooks, choruses, and all the components that make a Willie Nelson recording.


For me, the funniest part of that song is where it says,

"Some folks say that I'm egotistical -

Hell, I don't even know what that means!"

        I realize the part after that is meant to be the actual punchline - the skintight blue jeans...  but still the funniest part, to me, is 'Hell I don't even know what that means'...


Just - so random...




-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment