Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mastering the Art of Blog Adventures


Julie Powell cooked her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, and wrote a blog about it.

Then Julie Powell wrote a book about the blogging and cooking.

Then the book was made into a movie.

Then Lawrence Dai watched the movie every day for a year, and blogged about that.

If you can have a book about a blog, you can do a blog about a book.

If you can blog about cooking, then can you cook about blogging?

Not really, but you could cook from a blog -- a recipe blog.

Could they make a movie about cooking from a blog and then write a book about the movie?

Then someone reading that book could blog about the book.

And each of these projects must go for a year.  That's the --
a)  challenge, and
b) framework,
within which to work, to give these projects shape, and a set of limits -- parameters.  Like baseball having nine innings.

Recently read some of Lawerence Dai's blog (The Lawrence / Julie & Julia Project) -- it's funny -- profane, too....These kids today....In the August 2, 2011 post, there's a story written by a guy who had a small part in Julie & Julia -- he wrote all about what it was like to work in a movie, how nervous he was, etc.  He was "the cheese guy" at Dean & De Luca in the film, & in real life he worked in cheese.

Commenters on that post really liked the cheese guy's story, as did I -- I liked that there was no brutality or disgusting-ness or cruelty or meanness in what the cheese actor wrote, AND -- everyone -- LIKED it.  (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  If found that encouraging.

One commenter wrote,
"There's something oddly meaningful about this post.  It reminds you that everyone has a story.  I kind of wish every movie had a blog like this now."

Wow, that's some wish.

That, of course, "encouraged" me to --
think of the movies I would blog about for a whole year straight, each one, if I decided I had the stamina and there was a good reason to do it (don't know, however, am no Lawrence Dai....) --

When Harry Met Sally...

Shag

Witness

The Big Chill

Body Heat

Coal Miner's Daughter

The Last Waltz

Casablanca

His Girl Friday

Woodstock

and
maybe
one year of watching-and-blog-posting-about:

Play It Again Sam
Annie Hall
and
Manhattan
--three movies that I consider sort of the core of Woody Allen's "oeuvre."
Instead of each of those films for one year,
I'd do all three, through a year -- comparing, contrasting -- ... >>> seriously, I could do that....
Could throw in When Harry Met Sally... during that same year with the three Woody Allen works, even though that's a Rob Reiner film, not a W. Allen -- I read someplace recently that someone said, "When Harry Met Sally was Annie Hall with a happy ending."
And I felt like I should have said that, or at least consciously thought it....

I had noticed so many homages toward Woody Allen's work, in Harry-Sally, but I never pursued or explored these observations....

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment