Thursday, May 9, 2013

White House medicine show


The next time I have access to complete-internet and thus You Tube, two things I want to view and listen to, for sure:

the song, "Wagon Wheel"

and

"A Tour of the White House with Mrs. John F. Kennedy."

--------------------------------

Actually -- if I tried to list each thing I want to

see - listen to - read Comments on,

on You Tube,

I could note down 200,000 things, instead of just two.

Two hundred million.

But -- got to start somewhere.

================"Wagon Wheel":  I came across this song completely by accident and still have never heard it.  Not the whole thing.  Very little of it.

On Tavi Gevinson's Style Rookie blog, she had a title (or subtitle):  "caught a trucker out of Philly, had a nice long toke" and I found that phrase to be so rhythmic and engaging, I typed it into Google to find out what I could...discovered it was a song by Old Crow Medicine Show.

Based on a "sketch" of the song by --

(some obscure distant-past blues-jazz Lyricist that I need to discover...?)

Uh, no -- Dylan.  Bob.  Have a nice day.  (!)
It's like -- if I like it, it somehow leads back to Bob Dylan.
Sort of -- six -- six degrees of -- something-or-other....

Says Dylan "penned" it as "Rock Me Mama" in 1972 for the film soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

So -- Old Crow Medicine Show (O.C.M.S.) released it in 2004.
And now, four months ago, Darius Rucker releases it, as a "country" song, from his True Believers album.

I heard a little short part of it --
"Rock me mamma like a wagon wheel --
Rock me mamma, any way you feel..."
in a vehicle driven by a guy who has been part of a hip-hop, R & B group, Haiti Boy, White Boy.

I said, Wow, what's that.
He said, Darius Rucker.
Didn't he used to be in Hootie and the Blowfish?
Yes.

>>>>>>>>>>>
So now -- I like this song, and I haven't even heard it.

Similar to the film, The Sting.  I liked it four years before I ever saw it.

I -- like songs I've never heard,
and I like movies I haven't seen.

(Would this be a skill set?
Or a condition?)

So when I get to a You Tube computer with a speaker, I'm a-goin' to listen to every version of "Wagon Wheel" that I can find.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  And the Mrs. Kennedy White House Tour -- have seen it, need to see it again.

------------  Charles Collingwood:  "The Blue Room is so very different from the Red Room."

Mrs. Kennedy:  "Yes!...It's -- blue."

-------------------------  (kind, gentle giggling -- [KGG] -- laughing with, not at) -- most of the Tour of the White House is very informative, engaging, you get more interested than you thought you were, in U.S. History, more specifically, presidential history, even more specifically, White House history, listening to the First Lady most Americans referred to as "Jackie" -- she doesn't make any errors -- the "Yes, it's blue" line is not quoted here to make her sound dumb or silly, or anything -- it's just that --

everyone has their moments,

and, though well educated, she was by no means a practiced or trained television announcer or presenter.  In that area she was an amateur.  The Tour, overall, is wonderful, and pretty much perfection, but Total Perfection would not have been as much fun, if it were not "cut" with the "Yes it's blue" moment.

The hour-long presentation (in 1962 -- I picture my parents probably watching it on the black-and-white TV set that stood on the floor, on four -- "legs"....) got good reviews:  in Sally Bedell Smith's Grace And Power, she quotes a journalist who said Mrs. Kennedy related history and described the renovation project "with verve."

Verve. 
1.  enthusiasm or vigor, as in literary or artistic work; spirit
2.  vivaciousness; liveliness; animation
3.  Archaictalent.

Origin:
1690 - 1700;  French

---------------------
When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis died in 1994, I started reading about her and after learning of the White House Tour on television, I desperately yearned to see it, and thought I never would.  I thought -- I'll never have the means and the leisure to go back to Boston, go to the JFK Library, and watch that.  Unless the History Channel or something decides to show it, and I happen to catch it, I'll never see it...!  I felt devastated and frustrated.

I did not envision You Tube coming in the future.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment