Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the same place you read your stuff


Until I read some weekend Comments on Slate, I had not thought in a long time about the "news story" about the "study" that said men think about sex every seven seconds -- one Commenter said that conclusion was reached by someone exaggerating "the hell out of some study" and another Commenter said, "I lump that one in with 'people only use 10% of their brains'....

Remembered that I had heard about the "every-seven-seconds" study from a school superintendent. 

Yikes.

What human being, man or woman, could really think about one particular topic -- sex or anything else -- every seven seconds?
It sounds extreme.
And difficult.
And improbable.

Some of these studies...it makes a person wonder about them.  I want to respect scholarship and science -- and then here comes another "study" that makes attention-getting headlines and makes us all go, "Oh my goodness, really?!" but seriously, could these things be true?  Some of these "study-dudes" are testing my respect.

(R-E-S-P-E-C-T -- find out what it means to me...)

It makes me think of an episode of "Mad About You" where the husband and wife, Paul and Jamie, are discussing something; Paul questions Jamie's approach to some issue, and Jamie says firmly:
"I read-an-article!"
Paul:  "Where -- did you read that?"

Jamie:  "Same place you read your stuff. ..."

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment