Sunday, July 28, 2024

broad back in broadcasting

 



The Bellamy Brothers' songs were very popular on country music radio in the 1970s and '80s.


In the 1980s I did Morning Drive on a Midwestern country music radio station, and in the morning after the "Star-Spangled Banner" I came on and said,

"Hi!  I'm Penny Lane, the gal who put the broad back in broadcasting, the woman who makes radio - Active!

Starting your Friday right, it's Willie Nelson, and K---!" and hit the switch to start the record - "Whiskey River, take my mind," - na na na, NAH- na-na-na..."

        (It wasn't Willie Nelson every day, I just used that as an example.)

I came up with that Morning thing to say because I thought it should be a consistent, daily thing.  Upbeat, and peppy.


I was met by a radio listener at a "live remote" event, where you do interviews on the spot, and the guy said, "I like it when you say you put the bra back in broadcasting!"


I always tried to enunciate clearly, but maybe I didn't do a good enough job of that, if he thought I said "bra" - ...



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment