Thursday, July 18, 2024

"you think you're God!"

 



In the book Camera Girl, there's a quote from a letter Jackie wrote to her stepbrother, Yusha Auchincloss:  "There are so many people who get lost in pessimism and seeing the worst - but that is so wrong when there is good and beauty in the world - and it's so much happier being optimistic - even if you're wrong - you're happy and you make other people happy and isn't that what's important?"

 

        I could relate to that quote, because I sort of unconsciously fall into a habit of trying to entertain everyone and make everyone happy.  Some people are entertained one minute, but then attacking you the next, and then you're severely disappointed.


And then I ask myself, "Do I have a degree in Psychology?"

No, I do not.

Do I have some magical power to help everyone?

Probably not.


        This interior conversation makes me remember a scene in a Woody Allen movie (as many things do) - Manhattan.

Woody Allen wrote and directed:  he plays a character named Isaac.  

His friend Yale accuses him:  "You think you're God!"


Isaac's response to this is priceless.

In 1979, the entire audience fell out of their seats and rolled on the floor, laughing.


On You Tube, the video:

Manhattan (9/10) Movie CLIP - You Think You're God

uploader / channel:  Movieclips



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment