Friday, February 26, 2010

Chris Matthews' mojo

I'm so excited and happy!
I think Chris Matthews got his mojo back!

I used to watch his show, "Hardball" in the 90s -- I used to love it so much, I thought if he were not married, I'd marry him.

He talked about politics and Tip O'Neill and Washington and the movie "Casablanca."
I said -- there's an excellent man!!

Then I got tired of him & stopped watching his show in 2000.
He got off-track. Like the other talk show radio/TV guys, he was devolving into a ranter and purveyor of scatter-shot, gratuitous criticism.

(Makes me think of Don Imus -- I mean, how long can we listen to one over-paid white guy with a fun job complain??)

The two things that made me switch the channel on "my man" Chris Matthews were --

1) in 2000 he got wound up one night and kept referring to somebody-or-other as being "in the tank" for Gore. Over and over. "In the tank -- in the tank -- in the tank."
For God's sake, a person is allowed to support Al Gore or George W. Bush or whomever. It was like if you supported Chris Matthews' favorite candidate you were "supporting the candidate" but if you supported the one Matthews didn't support, then you were "in the tank."

He himself was "in the tank."
I got tired of it.
I mean, I had liked him in the first place because he would talk about politics in a balanced way, praising and criticizing and questioning both Democrats and Republicans, conservatives, progressives, and liberals equally.

He would converse about the TOPIC, not bash INDIVIDUALS.
Then he seemed to change and sort of "go downhill."

2) The other thing was -- one night "Hardball" showed film of then-President Bill Clinton and Mrs. Clinton walking. And Chris Matthews made some scoffing remark about the way Mrs. Clinton was walking -- he said she was walking with "a sense of entitlement."

That's when I began to think that people with their own talk show should be term-limited, as legislators are in some states. You get your talk show for three years and then you're done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well last night after work I caught a "Hardball" special edition -- "The Health Care Summit."

It was educational and hilarious. I was cracking up; it was great. (They showed this film where you could see how orchestrated some of the arguments were. One side kept saying "step by step."

Senator after senator was shown saying, "What we need is a step-by-step approach." "Step-by-step; step-by-step" over and over and over again, coming out of different senators' mouths. finally one of them said, "What the American people want is a common-step, er - uh -- erm -- "a common-sense, step-by-step process..."

It was hilarious. If you can find it on YouTube, highly recommend it.)

It was the party with which I'm registered that was utilizing the "phony talking points," as Chris Matthews referred to them -- step-by-step, side-stepping, whatever.

Right now the main reason I don't switch parties is -- if I stay where I am, I can vote against the worst extremists twice -- once in the primary, and again in the general election.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Senator Boehner from Ohio was on. I have read that name, but never heard anyone say it, and had wondered how you pronounced it.

B - o - e - h - n - e - r.
Boehner.
How does one pronounce that?

Last night I heard them say it: they pronounced it

"bay' - ner."

Thank goodness.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment