Monday, February 8, 2010

great line / wrong word


This morning, early, a movie on TCM: don't know the name of it, Spencer Tracy was in it.

At one point he says, "I've never been in a situation yet where havin' a little money made things any worse."

Isn't that great?
Kind of Mark Twain-ish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend on a cable talk show, Andrew Young, author of The Politician, a book about John Edwards' presidential campaign.

The interviewer asked Mr. Young why he saved the sex tape; Young answered, "Because it would collaborate what I was saying."

He meant "corroborate," not "collaborate."

A few seconds later, he said it again.

I'd assume that would be a dream job, working for a presidential candidate, but it obviously has its flip-side.

From very small amount I've read of The Politician, John Edwards comes off, predictably, as a classic phony.

I was taken aback by something I read about Mrs. Edwards -- surprised.
We automatically like her because our empathy -- and


sympathy -- is triggered by --
a) the cancer, and
b) the betrayal in her marriage.

But when you read about how she treats people --
she sounds like an awful, awful person.

I feel sorry for their children.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment