Wednesday, February 24, 2010

dead terrorist bounce


During the 90s I listened to CNBC a lot. I would turn it on in the morning instead of the radio and listen to Wall Street news while I was getting ready for the work-day.

For a while they were using an expression -- "dead cat bounce."
For example:

"Yes,that company's stock went up today but we think it's a dead cat bounce."

I think it meant, the stock is going to keep going down, so don't get optimistic just because it went up, some, on one day -- that's "a dead cat bounce."

The expression didn't bother me that much
but I wasn't a fan of it.

People who have dogs and cats love their pets; why bum them out unnecessarily?

So one day I called up CNBC; some intern talked to me -- sounded like a young college student, or something.

I told him, I'm not criticizing -- I'm just saying, people love their cats, and instead of that particular expression, couldn't they say something else?

Like -- "dead terrorist bounce"?
There isn't a lot of sympathy for terrorists and they cause tragedies for other people, so ---...

The intern understood. He was real nice.

And the next day I heard them say it on the air.
I don't think they adopted "dead terrorist bounce" as something to use all the time, but what they did was, they discussed the fact that they'd had a call from a viewer who suggested substituting "dead terrorist bounce" for "dead cat bounce," and they had a chuckle over it.

And after that I heard them say "dead cat bounce" a very few times -- not nearly as often, and I thought maybe it kind of wound down & they stopped using it at all.

And now -- I don't know; haven't listened to that channel for a while.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment