Thursday, February 18, 2010

wicked classy

In the Boston area some people use the word "wicked" in a funny way -- different from most of us.

They use "wicked" as an adverb -- modifier -- to make something more intense.
Like -- "My sister doesn't keep her room organized. I mean really, she's wicked bad!"

It's like --
very bad, or
really bad, or
super-bad, or --

wicked bad. ...

Everyone in the Boston metropolitan area does not do this.
It's kind of -- the younger crowd, I think -- people under 30.
And -- the socioeconomic groups that don't make as much money --
"working class," or whatever it's called.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This anecdote needs one piece of "Intro" and then three pieces of information, first.

INTRO: The year after I graduated from college I worked at what was then The First National Bank of Boston (been bought several times since, merged, re-named...).

INFORMATION PIECE 1:
My boss was Mr. Connolly, who had a wonderful British accent.
("Hall'--oh!" in the morning....)

INFORMATION PIECE 2:
Outside the hallway door to our department was a reception area with a receptionist -- a nice girl in her twenties who was from one of the towns outside of Boston. She was pleasant and complimentary to everyone.

INFORMATION PIECE 3:
In my section of the department was a short, handsome AVP (Assistant Vice President) named J. Crandall.

--------------------------------------------
One day I told the receptionist I noticed J's name was just an initial and I was wondering what the name really was -- like, what the "J" stood for.

With an enthusiastic smile, she said:
"It's just the initial!
I think it's wicked classy!"
When I repeated that exchange to Mr. Connolly, he fairly shouted with laughter and repeated, with his accent, "Wicked clah-see."
I'd say.
It was like -- Mr. C. knew it was funny because "wicked classy" is amusing if you yourself do not use the word "wicked" that way;
meanwhile, I was enjoying it on two levels --
1) "Wicked classy" is funny to me because we don't use "wicked" that way where I come from -- AND --
2)
I get to hear him laughing at it and saying "clah-see" with that adorable accent, & he's blissfully unaware that
"clah-see"
instead of "classy"
is funny, TOO.
I'm sort of --
laughing WITH him
and
laughing a little bit AT him
simultaneously.
And -- there is no summary or Universal Wisdom at the end of this story.
Just that -- after many years, I still
love
Wicked Classy.
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment